The organizers of the Wimbledon Championships are believed to consider hosting the Grand Slam event with more audience than the earlier allowed 25 percent capacity, as the UK government recently eased the Covid-19 restrictions.
As said by the All England Club in the previous month that it hoped to welcome fans to fill 25 percent of the capacity, it is now expected that with the recent ease of restrictions regarding the pandemic more tickets will be available to the fans as they go on sale in June. The organizers gained confidence after a number of test events with crowds in the country took place, giving them “early positive indications” about a potential rise in ticket capacity.
The AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis Club) on Wednesday said in a statement: “Further to the Stage 3 relaxation of restrictions and early positive indications from the Event Research Programme, we are confident that we will be able to increase our ticketing capacities for The Championships this year beyond the minimum 25% position we set out last month.”
The Wimbledon Championships were cancelled last year for the first time since the Second World War. In order to ensure a safe return of the event on June 28, the organizers will be taking the utmost precautions by putting in place a Minimized Risk Environment to satisfy the health protocols of the country. With this in force, the players will be required to stay in their designated hotels.
The All England Club will be taking its time to decide about the ticketing and prize money because of the uncertainty of the ease in restrictions, as the authorities want to have some more clarity upon the new B.1.617.2 variant of the virus that spreads faster than ever.
The organisers of the prestigious grand slam said, “For this reason, we are continuing to leave confirming our ticketing capacities until as late as possible, with all tickets to be made available via an online sale, which we anticipate commencing in mid-June.”