The fallout from European Super League continues as UEFA has decided to begin disciplinary action against Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, and Juventus. The three clubs are yet to drop the idea of Super League, so UEFA could hand heavy sanctions, which could include a ban from the Champions League. In April, 12 clubs decided to join a breakaway league. After backlash from fans and players, nine of them turned withdrew from the project. This includes the big six from England, Atletico Madrid from Spain, and Inter Milan and AC Milan from Italy.
These nine clubs signed an agreement with UEFA to give up 5% of their revenue from European competitions in the 2022-23 season. They will also combine pay €15 million as a “gesture of goodwill” to benefit children, youth, and football on the grassroots level.
The remaining three clubs were warned about the situation last month and it was also said that by the UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin. He insisted that these three clubs will not play in the Champions League if they don’t drop the idea of ESL. Proceedings for violation are quite active now as it was said on Tuesday that a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework. The clubs have violated a certain section from UEFA’s statutes which includes prohibited groupings. As per this violation, leagues or groups cannot be formed without the permission of the governing body.
If the nine clubs take part in an unauthorised league or competition in the future, then they will be slapped with a heavy fine of €100 million or €50 million by UEFA. The three clubs have qualified for the Champions League next season, but UEFA has not given any timetable for the expected disciplinary case.
Any ban for the clubs and elevation of other Spanish and Italian teams to replace them would require an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport and pressure to resolve the cases before the beginning of next season. The Champions League group stage draws for next season will take place on August 26th and the tournament will begin on September 14.