Veteran South African batsman AB de Villiers is said to be considering a return to international cricket, displaying his keen interest to feature for his country in the T20 World Cup scheduled to take place in India later this year.
After playing a significant role in Royal Challengers Bangalore’s triumph over Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL 2021 on Sunday, AB de Villiers once again showed the world that he has still got the skill to outperform the death bowlers no matter who the opponent is. The 37-year-old had retired from International Cricket in 2018. He has been in outstanding form in the ongoing Indian Premier League and currently stands fifth in the race for the Orange Cap.
Despite coming in at number five, he managed to score a brilliant 76 off just 34 balls, which won RCB the match. In the post-match press conference after receiving the Player of the Match award, the batter confirmed having a discussion with his former teammate and current SA National Team head coach Mark Boucher regarding his potential comeback.
“Last year, he (Boucher) asked me if I would be interested. And I said, ‘absolutely’. And come the end of the IPL, we will have a look at where we are at with regards to my form and my fitness.”
He talks about the current team situation and whether he’ll be able to fit into the squad, who was previously left out by the team selectors from the 2018 ODI World Cup squad. However, De Villiers is hopeful that this time he might perhaps make it to the squad.
“If there’s no space for me, so be it. If I can slot in there, it will be fantastic if all those things fall in place. Waiting for Bouchy towards the end of the IPL, and we will then plan accordingly.”
On the other hand, Mark Boucher seems positive on this matter as he talks in favour of the retired veteran. He knows that AB De Villiers still has the potential to play at that level and says ABD, “You go do your thing and I’ll give you a shout towards the end of the IPL and see where you are.”
These developments took place amidst other developments happening between the CSA and the Government, where according to reports, the Minister of Sports might just suspend the Cricket South Africa and dissolving the cricket governing body until further notice.