The Australian Grand Prix will be held in Melbourne until at least 2037, following a contract extension in the Victorian capital.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews declared on Thursday that an agreement had been reached to broaden the Grand Prix deal to 2037, adding two years to the prior agreement.
This year’s race at Albert Park drew nearly 420,000 spectators, a record for the stadium. Under the new agreement, Melbourne will organise the first race of the season four times. For the 2023 season, Bahrain will host the first race.
Australian Grand Prix, Corporation Chief Executive, Andrew Westacott, said, “To have secured what is now 15 years of further tenure for the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne is an outstanding outcome.“
For the very first time, the Formula 2 and Formula 3 classifications will also be included in the Grand Prix weekend next year.
Victorian Sports Minister, Steve Dimopoulos, said, “Securing the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix event in Melbourne for the next 12 years is an incredible result that will boost businesses and local jobs, while showcasing the state to millions of spectators right across the globe.”
Oscar Piastri, an Australian, will drive for McLaren Racing in his first F1 season in 2023, succeeding fellow countryman, Daniel Ricciardo.
Ricciardo will not be racing next season, instead taking a reserved seat at Red Bull, where he managed to win seven F1 races.